8 members and one visiting member were present.
Brenda gave out notices at the beginning of the meeting and asked for a volunteer to write-up reports for the website and also for a member to share the responsibility of running the group. There were no offers for either request.
Brenda had posed 4 topics to the group for discussion at the meeting.:
- Is he insane, or a spoilt child? Discuss
We discussed a range of issues, reviewing President Trump’s first year in office
- Fire and Fury – Brenda and Joyce were the only members who have started reading the book
- Christopher Steele and the Russian dossier – will Trump be called before the Mueller’s ?
- The involvement of ‘Jarvanka’ – the team of daughter Ivanka and son-in-law Jared Kushner
- How dangerous is his finger on the ‘red button’
- Provocative action of moving the US Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem
- Response to gun control laws
AMERICA FIRST – should this be the mantra of any nation?
- With the imminent start of the Winter Olympics in S Korea, what is Kim Jong-Un’s intentions?
- How healthy is the NHS? Cause and effect discussed:
- Advances in medicine mean greater expenditure on expensive diagnostic equipment
- Population living longer as a result of improved health care
- Foreigners taking advantage of FREE health care
- Drunks taken off the street to sleep off effects in specialised units
- Sports injuries required to pay for treatment
- Pay to visit GP
- Increased cost and burden of administration
- Nurses do not require university degrees
- Why do we stop paying NI at retirement age? Should we pay a tax which is ring-fenced for Health and Social Care.
- What are you doing to cut-down use of plastics?
We were all agreed that David Attenborough’s programme ‘The Blue Planet’ had a massive effect on highlighting the destruction that is being done to the marine environment by waste plastic. We discussed:
- the scourge of take-away cups
- the feasibility of charging 10p on plastic bottles
- less packing in general, or using bio-degradable materials where possible
- unwrapping food items at the supermarket for them to dispose in an environmentally friendly manner
All together a lively and stimulating meeting. Our next meeting is Monday 5th March and Brenda posed the question – ‘Does Loyalty Pay?’ Members were asked to shop-around to compare the monthly charges/annual premiums they pay versus similar services.